Housing Assistance Programs
FY2019 CHIP Grant
Applications are now being accept for the FY2019 CHIP Program.
The City of Wadsworth, in partnership with with Medina County, has been awarded a CHIP Grant in the amount of $750,000. The program will provide home improvements assistance to income eligible residents of Wadsworth City and the unincorporated areas of Medina County.
Two types of assistance are available:
Minor Home Repairs - will be used to correct one or two building or fire code issues at an owner occupied home. The amount of funds spent on any individual home is limited to approximately $12,000.
Owner Occupied Rehabilitation - Will be used to correct all eligible building and fire code issues at an owner occupied home. The amount of funds to be spent on any individual home is limited to approximately $43,000.
Applications for minor home repair assistance will be processed and funded on a first-come, first-served basis.
Applications for owner occupied rehabilitation assistance will be funded in a series of "rounds" that will take place throughout the next two years. These applications will be ranked based on several criteria with those owners and properties in most need being served first.
As of February 4, 2020, applications for the second round of Owner-Occupied Rehabilitation assistance are now being accepted. The deadline to call and submit applications for Owner-Occupied Rehabilitation funding is:
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2020.
Information regarding how and where to submit a completed application can be found at the end of this section.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- Applicant must own and reside in the home. Rental properties or properties being purchased via a "land contract" are not eligible.
- Household income must be less than 80% of the region’s median income. Any household whose income exceeds the 80% threshold is not eligible for assistance. See 2019 HUD Income Table (below).
- Household may have no more than $100,000 in assets, exclusive of the value of the home.
- Must be current on all mortgage & tax payments
- Must provide evidence of house insurance.
General Information (for All Housing Grants)
- Programs funded through the CDBG CHIP and Allocation programs are not "home beautification" programs. Activities that are generally eligible for financial assistance include roof repairs; furnaces; hot water tanks; structural deficiencies (porches, stairs, etc.); electrical panels and plumbing and similar building code violations and threats to safety. Cosmetic improvements (i.e. new cabinets, carpeting, etc.) are generally not eligible for assistance. Each application will be reviewed to ensure that the repairs being requested meet program goals.
- All CDBG CHIP and Allocation programs are designed to assist low and moderate income (LMI) households. An LMI household is one where total gross household earnings are less than 80% of the area’s median income.
Where to pick up and submit applications
Applications may be picked up at:
- Wadsworth City Hall (Building & Planning Office), 120 Maple Street, Wadsworth
- Medina County Administration Building, 144 North Broadway Street, Medina
- Medina County CHIP Office, 120 West Washington Street #3B, Medina
Completed applications may not be dropped off at Wadsworth City Hall. Once an application has been completed and all required supporting documentation compiled, applicants will need to contact the Medina County CHIP Office (phone #330-410-6581) to schedule an appointment to have your application and supporting documents reviewed and verified. The application, list of required supporting documents and filing instructions are included in the application packet.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT THE MEDINA COUNTY CHIP OFFICE AT 330-410-6581.
Additional information will be posted when available.