In 1946, the City of Wadsworth started a garbage and trash pickup with one truck and four employees. This operation was supported by the General Fund. A dollar per month per resident fee was instituted in 1956 to help pay for the service.
During the early 1970s the Sanitation Fund was established as an Enterprise Fund of the City of Wadsworth. User fees were set to support the collection and disposal of garbage and rubbish from the city. Tax dollars were no longer used to subsidize this operation.
In 1976, the City opened its Solid Waste Transfer Station. This facility was built because the city's landfill was full. The City's solid wastes were hauled to various final disposal sites up to 60 miles away.
This included the Akron Recycle Energy Plant. Wadsworth is a part of the Medina Solid Waste District. From July 1993 to present, the City has used the Medina County's Central Processing Facility for final solid waste disposal.
Automated Collection System
In 2002, the City of Wadsworth implemented an Automated Collection System for residential trash service. The last rate increase for Sanitation was in 2006.