Downtown Infrastructure Project - A Streetscape Unmatched
After collaboration between the City of Wadsworth and community partners, we are moving forward with the exciting catalyst project from the 2017 Downtown Visioning Plan: a utility replacement and streetscape improvement plan for the downtown core. This project will include:
- Replacement of the aging waterlines, storm sewers, sanitary sewers, electric, and communications lines in Downtown Wadsworth.
- Facilitation of improvements for safety, pedestrian connectivity between downtown amenities, and efficient vehicular traffic.
- Enhancement of sidewalks, streets, and alleyways to make downtown more livable, vibrant, and a destination spot.
- Things important to our community are: unity, charm, people, walkability, vibrant businesses, outdoor spaces to enjoy
- Already very unique alleyways could be improved to enhance the downtown and connect parking lots better
- The current parking ratio/supply is appropriate for downtown.
- Parking lot locations are for the most part in advantageous locations, located behind Downtown buildings, shielding them from view, adding to a complete feel.
- Traffic flow needs to be addressed
- Lengthy pedestrian crosswalks need to be addressed
- Lane widths need to be adjusted to meet standards
- Coming into downtown, all roads have 2 lanes and expands to 4 lanes in two blocks
- Once the conceptual plans are finalized, detailed engineering design will take place through 2020, then construction is planned to begin in 2021 and estimated to take over a year to complete.
- With a project of this magnitude, the City could utilize many different funding sources, including utility funds, grants, street improvement funds, general funds, and assessments.
First Public Meeting
On Wednesday, December 11, the City’s consultant team gave a presentation to show the progress made this year on planning infrastructure and streetscape improvements and unveiled multiple conceptual plans in order to get feedback from the community. You can view the recorded meeting HERE.
Second Public Meeting
Thank you to all who took the time to answer the survey on the Downtown Infrastructure Project. We were thrilled with the number of responses we received that made us aware of your concerns, recommendations, ideas, and insight. The collected information was given to the consultants, who have been working to determine the final design concepts. You are now invited to attend a public meeting for the Downtown Infrastructure Improvement Project: A Streetscape Unmatched. The meeting will take place at Wadsworth City Hall, 120 Maple St., from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, January 29, 2020, in City Council Chambers. The City’s consultant team will give a presentation, including final conceptual plans. Once again, we encourage you to come share your feedback for incorporation into the final design. Detailed engineering design will start in the coming months, and will be based on the plans shared at this meeting. The construction of the project is planned to begin most likely in 2021.
Please provide your feedback throughout the process and stay up to date on our website.
The Downtown Implementation Committee was formed to assist the City with the creation of the 2017 Downtown Visioning Plan. Comprised of community members representing a variety of backgrounds and organizations, this committee has been involved in the preliminary planning of the Downtown Improvement Project. This valuable group provides firsthand insight into the community and is guiding the development of concepts by the consultants.