Woodlawn Cemetery was established in 1817 on one acre of land originally owned by Owen Brown, father of the abolitionist John Brown. Over the years several additions were made, and Woodlawn now covers approximately 34 acres. At this time over 13,000 are interred in the cemetery.
Woodlawn Cemetery is a Union Cemetery, owned and operated jointly by the City of Wadsworth and Wadsworth Township. It is operated from revenues acquired mainly from the sale of lots, interments and subsidies from the City of Wadsworth, Wadsworth Township and Sacred Heart of Jesus Church.
Cort LaBo, Superintendent
Michelle Workinger, Clerk-Treasurer
The Clerk-Treasurer of the cemetery is responsible for maintaining a system of internal accounting control in order to assure that the assets are safeguarded against loss, and that all transactions are executed in accordance with the board's authorization. All records are subject to audit by the State of Ohio, every two years.
The Superintendent of the cemetery is responsible for the daily operation of the cemetery, including assigning duties to the groundskeepers, dealing with the public in all matters pertaining to interments or lot sales, keeping the equipment in good condition and making sure that Woodlawn is well maintained at all times.